Looking for a solution to grow your eCommerce business? Cross-selling and upselling may be just the answer to your prayers. The techniques are both aimed at boosting trade, yet there’s a difference in the mechanics. To cross-sell means to suggest complementary merchandise or services, while to upsell is to prompt clients to higher-priced or extended offerings related to the shopping cart content. The combined effect on sales revenues is remarkable—reported to account for 10 to 30% of the total profit growth.
A widely used way to cross-sell or upsell is by sending promotional emails to customers. However, the approach is not only tiresome but also hardly efficient. Why don’t you entice customers to buy more right at your Shopify store page? The Cross-sell and Upsell Suite by MageWorx has all the proper tools to accomplish the goal. Read on to learn about its capabilities and instructions on how to install and configure the app.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are the Features in the Suite?
- 2 What Are the App Benefits?
- 3 How to Install and Configure the Plugin?
- 4 A Few Final Words
What Are the Features in the Suite?
Basically, the Shopify’s plugin lets you upsell and cross-sell goods and services, using either of the following:
Alternative 1. You can build HTML blocks promoting items to complement or to go with specific merchandise in stock. In addition, the app enables merchants to choose whether to add a new promo section to a product page or display it as customers reach the shopping cart step.
Number 2. You can design and style popups listing articles to extend store offerings, setting the boxes to appear at checkout or on the shopping cart page.
The Cross-sell and Upsell Suite boasts ample options to customize promo blocks and popups:
- Store administrators can create lists of promoted products automatically by enabling inclusion or exclusion criteria or manually by picking items from goods on sale.
- The app allows you to configure the sorting order and the display settings (e.g., how many products to include in a row) for the additional merchandise.
- Shop managers can add and edit titles and descriptions for cross-sell or upsell popups or sections, as well as a variety of attributes to display (e.g., images, pricing options).
- The plugin enables Shopify merchants to apply default or user-preset styles to deliver customized front-end representation of pages with complementary offerings.
- Store owners can set restrictions to show or hide cross-sell or upsell offers—by region or country, by the total purchase volume, or by the offer validity period, etc.
- It is possible to configure the app to automatically put out of customers’ sight those goods that are no longer available for sale.
- The application allows for reusing any previously created popups or HTML blocks to make a different promo suggestion.
Note that the Mageworx team has ensured the compatibility of the Cross-sell and Upsell Suite with the entire range of free themes available at Shopify. The upsell functionality is to be extended yet in future versions.
What Are the App Benefits?
Now that you understand the capabilities behind the Shopify plugin, the next question crossing your mind would most probably be: what’s the app’s worth for me as a business owner?
- An obvious gain is the power of cross-selling and upselling you can use to increase the sales revenue. The suite allows creating and managing an unlimited variety of premium offers and package deals in a number of simple steps.
- With an extended product range demonstrated to shop visitors, chances are higher to convert leads into regular customers.
- No coding skills are required to install and manage the Cross-sell and Upsell Suite. Thus, you can save on expensive tuneup services to invest more in the development of your Shopify store.
- Cover the impulsive shoppers segment by creating popups or HTML blocks to tempt clients to buy more at checkout or on the shopping cart page.
- Satisfy more of your customers’ needs with each order by prompting to items they might need in addition to a core product (e.g., a belt for a skirt or a case to go with a new iPad).
- Provide a wider coverage of your stock to win more buyers and the reputation of being a truly customer-centered retail business.
In financial terms, all of the above sums up to the magic words—higher trade turnover, great store traffic, and increased total of each shopping cart receipt.
Cross‑sell & Upsell Suite
How to Install and Configure the Plugin?
So, if you are convinced the Cross-sell and Upsell Suite is your fastest and smartest way to grow your Shopify retail business, take the two easy steps to get the plugin running.
Step 1. Sign up for a premium plan at 19.99 USD per month or start with a free 14-day trial by clicking the Add app button at the Shopify marketplace page.
Step 2. Set up the app to upsell and cross-sell as best fitted for you in accordance with the instructions below.
The instructions are structured into separate sections, but there’s no strict configuration order to follow. Our recommendation is to first read them one-by-one and then complete the described steps in any sequence as seems more convenient to you.
Begin with Basic Settings
- In the Offer title field, name your cross-sell or upsell offer (e.g., iPhone accessories).
- Select the Pop up or the HTML block radio button to set how the promo suggestion is going to appear on your Shopify store page.
Note: Adding an HTML section to a product page requires certain changes in the design template, so you may need to consult advanced configuration guides.
- Click Add to cart or Checkout to define the step within the purchasing flow where shoppers will see the offering.
Set the Targeted Merchandise
1. Check one of the radio buttons:
- All—when you want a popup or HTML block to be displayed for all types of merchandise on sale at your store.
- Manually—if your intention is to make a list of applicable products from the stock on your own.
- By condition—in case you’d like the plugin to automatically compile such an inventory for you based on preset criteria.
2. What you do next depends on the previous choice:
- If it is All, no further actions are required.
- If it is Manually, pick targeted products from in-stock merchandise at your discretion.
- If it is By condition, set the criteria that products must match for automatic selection. To add more conditions, click the Add condition button. To remove preset selection criteria, click the delete button next to it.
Specify the Show/Hide Restrictions
Use the tools in the Display settings area on the right to show or hide cross-sell or upsell offers based on the following:
- Geographical location. Select the Visitor’s location checkbox and pick countries for which you want to keep the promoted deal visible. By checking the Excluding selected option, you agree that the offering is going to be unavailable for specified territories.
- Effective period. Check Date range and select a proper segment in the calendar to set a limited validity period for a cross-sell or upsell page or section.
- Order volume. The Min/max cart total option allows for setting the minimum and maximum amounts of the in-cart purchase when the promo suggestion is to be available.
- Shopper’s gadget. Checking Device type enables the display of extended or upgraded offers on particular gadgets only.
- Priority. The setting prioritizes the presentation of cross-sell or upsell items that match preset conditions.
Manage Promoted and Excluded Products
- Click the Manually selected or By condition radio button.
- Depending on the choice in Step 1, either click the Select button and make a choice yourself or set the criteria for the plugin to create a promo offer automatically.
Note: To delete items from promoted products, click Remove.
- To remove particular goods from the cross-sell or upsell range, click Select in the Excluded products area and choose appropriate items from the stock.
- Set the sorting order by choosing any option from the Sort dropdown box.
Customize the Popup
1. Add a text to your cross-sell or upsell promo. To do this, type in a title and a descriptive intro in the corresponding fields.
2. Choose a default style and color for the popup message or check Apply custom style to create one of your own.
Configure the Front-End Appearance
1. In the Products per row/slide field, specify the quantity of articles to show in a single row or a slide (if the Enable product slider option is checked).
2. In the Max number of products to display field, set the maximum quantity of goods to include in a cross-sell or upsell offer.
3. Check product attributes to display.
Note: As an advanced setting, you can also configure the plugin not to show out-of-stock items.
Two More Things to Remember
Number 1. Make sure to click the Save button before you quit the app.
Number 2. To skip most of the configuration steps and save your precious time, you can reuse a created template. Simply click the Duplicate button.
A Few Final Words
Adopting the Cross-sell and Upsell Suite is one of the smartest ways to get your store to sell larger volumes and to more people. The app boasts a range of easy-to-use tools to set up whatever promo offers you can fancy—bundled sets, premium services, extended warranties, volume discounts, etc. However, use it with caution to avoid the impression of being pushy. Instead, think more of your customers’ convenience and make suggestions based on what they actually need rather than what you’d want them to buy.